Friday, February 24, 2012

Local Professionals: Dr. Mala Gupta

I hate the dentist's office.

I know I'm not alone here.  There are others out there who dread it for various reasons.  Me?  I get claustrophobic to the point of hyperventilating.  Just thinking about the dentist makes me anxious.  Just writing about the dentist has made my heart speed up.

I'm a very nervous dental patient, and at times, in the past, that has made me stretch the time between dental visits to untenable lengths.  It wasn't pretty.  I didn't neglect my teeth per se; matter of fact I made a ritual out of brush-floss-listerine to try to avoid the dentist at all costs.  But eventually, when you're a grown-up, you realize that you have to put on your big girl panties and do the right thing.

So, after relocating to Strathmore, I needed to find a new dentist.

Valley Dental Offices - Strathmore
There weren't many reviews online, so I just picked someone blind. And then I made my husband go first.  See, he's tougher than me.  Plus he has worse teeth, so I figured a) if it's tragic, it's less tragic, especially because I'm a girl, and b) if he came home a bloody mess, I would know to stay far, far away.

But he didn't.  He came home happy.  That was weird.  I asked him, while he was there, to ask them about nervous patients and what they needed to do.  He had, and they were remarkably nice about the whole process.

Dr. Gupta made an appointment for me to come in and meet her face-to-face - not in a dental chair.  Whew.  That was a relief.  We chatted for a while about what made me nervous and she watched my anxiety rise.  She was pretty good about calming me down even then, and talking me through it.  She then walked me through the office on a small tour, so I could see where everything happened.

One thing I really like about Valley Dental, where Dr. Gupta practices, is the open nature.  You aren't in a tiny little closed-off room where it feels like someone can torture you in private.  Because, let's face it, the dentist is kind of like a weird bdsm session.  You're in this bizarre piece of furniture, tilted at a funny angle with your legs up, people are giving you orders and shining bright lights in your face and wielding sharp instruments that they poke you with.  And sometimes there's blood.  It's got a lot of potential to go off in a "Turistas" type direction.  But at Valley Dental, while there are privacy walls between the exam areas, they are open at the tops and sides, with wide, non-closing doorways.  You have escape routes.  Trust me, I checked.

Dr. Gupta introduced me to her staff, including the hygienists, the other dentist, and her assistant, all of whom were very sweet and friendly.  They work with a lot of kids, so a scaredy-cat like me probably wasn't so shocking.  And that first day, I didn't even have to get into the chair, but as I hyperventilated again, she did take me back to her office to write me a script for Ativan.

The first time I returned, it was in sedated form, and I only had to signal for a quick time out once or twice during the exam.  My big goal was a bit of cosmetic dentistry - I had a poorly done cap on a front tooth that desperately needed replacing - and that would require a lot of time in the scary chair.  But it wasn't so bad.  Dr. Gupta pulled back when I started getting anxious (she's actually very adept at reading body language and could tell before I signaled when I was getting a bit overdue for breathing space).  In the end, I wound up getting a beautiful new cap and didn't even need the Ativan for the last appointments.  Now, I go to Valley Dental for regular cleanings with their hygienist Tanis - also very adept with the nervous - unsedated and with a much calmer outlook.

If this nervous patient can actually say she likes her dentist, then it's kind of a miracle.  Do I still hate the dentist's office?  Sure.  Do I still wish I never had to go?  Absofrickinloutely.  But since this is the real world and going isn't optional, I'm really glad there are dental offices around like Valley Dental.  Four and a half of five stars, and a big "thank you" from someone who hasn't felt this great about her smile in years and years.

You can find Valley Dental right downtown in Strathmore at 231 Second Ave.  They're right across the street from the Legion!  Or give them a call at (403) 934-2882.

No comments:

Post a Comment